Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I am a city mouse!

Last summer, my family and I traveled Kang Hwa Island, which is usually about 2 hours drive from my mom’s house. We prepared food and snacks and then we took 3 cars. After leaving the city, we could smell fresh leaves and flowers. Suddenly I felt dizzy because of the fresh air. In Korea, in the summer time everybody wants to go somewhere. It was vacation season and that’s why we spent double time. We sometimes go but for residents the weekend is a problem. We booked a reservation in a pension, which had a very nice view. In front, we could see the beach behind a small mountain. We ate fresh food from the sea. After, we played on the beach at low tide. My kids caught seashells and mini shrimps by touching the mud. At night, my 2 brother-in-laws prepared a BBQ. My nephew has an allergy from insects. My sister forgot the medicine but there were no pharmacies around. We had to drive 15 minutes and come back. It took 30 minutes. It is very long because in Seoul we walk only 5 minutes and we can buy everything. I hated all insects. When night came, all the bugs came out.

The problem started the next day! Outside it was very hot. My family didn’t want to go out. We played games and ate and took a nap. Children played Nintendo D.S game. Afterwards everybody watched T.V until eating time. My eldest sister said “with this much time and money, we could have spent a fantastic time in Seoul instead of this.” We laughed.

Now I think I live in country because I cannot enjoy a cultural life. Last year I watched a ballet with my kids. I went to the theatre for the first time in this country. Do you know where the theatre is? It was on the corner of the book roundabout. Do you know how nice the place is? They use the beautiful theatre once a year. Every morning I am looking at the theatre, which is my dream. I would like to get my own theatre! When I came here I was always angry. When I need something in Korea, I can get it within 24 hours but in this country it is always “Inshallah tomorrow.” “Oh~ my goodness.” But now I have got used to that. I learned the aesthetics of being slow!

I miss Seoul’s night scenery and night market, which is open 24 hours. I want to watch musicals, concerts and theatre plays. I would like to live in the city!

4 comments:

  1. I miis the night market in my coutry too Mina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mina, I like your story, je,je.I saw your are a "city mouse" I love the theatre too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I got married, I loved going out at night. Now I feel I am too old to go out at night. But I hate insects and bugs either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to watch play. I watched Snow white with my daughter at Madinat Jumaira of theater in 2008. But I have not watched play lately.There are many theaters concerts in Korea. I also miss Korea.

    ReplyDelete