Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mina's learning expereriences in this course!

When I have time, I first turn on the computer. It started 10 weeks ago. First I read my friend’s twitters. We met once a week but we knew their daily life. Then I follow the Web2 English schedule. It has a due date. It was very strict but I got used to it.

When I had coffee mornings for kid’s moms, I couldn’t sleep the day before because of my nerves. Now I understand 75% and when I don’t understand some words, I ask them. Before I couldn’t because I didn’t want to stop their conversation and I thought I could almost understand. Our group comes from 5 different countries. Now we know accents and pronunciation. It is very helpful to listen. I went to a language institute school, I had a group lesson and I had a tutor in my house for a while. However I couldn’t speak properly. Maybe it is back to basics and that’s why I improved in such a short time.

Why? I think computers are an attractive tool for studies. We made things ourselves and since we can see the results or comments, the sense of accomplishment is very satisfying, even though we are only finishing our homework. We made blogs, podcasts and presentations, which we comment on. I wait in anticipation for comments. It is nerve racking but worth the wait. The most difficult part is the podcast for me. Before I record I practiced 40~ 50 times. One day Sally wanted to use my computer to record. She just read twice. Oh I was shocked. Some people do things easily! The best thing was that I could use spare time. I cannot manage my own time but it was very nice. Usually I studied when everybody was sleep. We studied as friends and that brought us closer together where we understood one another better. When Martha’s daughter was sick everybody was worried. When Sally and Misook couldn’t write on their twitter, we asked “What happened?” We became so close.

One day I complained to my son’s piano teacher. Before I couldn’t speak properly but this time I had confidence. I spoke what I wanted to say. That time I felt like my mouth had a motor. I couldn’t speak confidently before to complain but thanks to Sean, I can complain, argue or express my feelings without any nervous feelings. Now the piano teacher understands my mind. We are officially good together.

I was most happy when I could study with my children, instead of just saying “Please study children.” I show them by studying with them. It has a good effect more than words!
I will continue to study with my children. They are my classmates and good teachers also!! I want to continue Web 2 English but now we have to do it alone. I am deeply grateful to Sean for bringing me this far and between our group and myself, we have to discuss what to do next.

4 comments:

  1. Your writing is very good Mina. You used alot of difficult words. When I have to study same time with children. I switch off everything just study. They are become good and read quietly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a hard worker! I used to be very nervous when I had coffee mornings, I didn't know you had same problem. But now I feel relaxed, because some of close friends are together. I always amazed your writing, you have very good ideas in your mind, mine's were always tooooo simple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think You had worked hard every day so your essay is excellent! When I didn't understand our conversation you told me English with korean. Thanks Mina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mina, You English is very good, don't worry about it. I like to read all your essays.

    ReplyDelete