Monday, January 11, 2010

Mina's childhood

When I was young I went to my grandparent’s house. They lived in the south eastern part of Korea. They had a fruit farm. We could eat any kind of fruits and we could play everywhere.

My grandma liked to rear silkworms. One day I followed my grandma. She brought mulberry leaves and opened a big warehouse. I was shocked to see the silkworm. It was white and the size of a finger with a wriggle. I screamed “Ah~ak” but my brother and sisters liked them. They fed the silkworms and touched them. The mere sight gives me the creeps. They put the silkworms on their palm and stared at them with fascination. Thereafter, I never went there again. My mom explained that it had a yearly income which is how my mom went to school. My mom has four sisters and two brothers. They all graduated school because of the silkworms. I understood but still I cannot touch them.

We followed grandpa. He pulled weeds from the bean field. My brother wanted to help him. After one hour my grandpa worked again because my brother failed to distinguish between weeds and beans. He took the beans out.

Near my grandma’s house there was a small river. We caught fish and swam there. It was very peaceful and we learned to observe nature. I loved my grandparents. They loved us too much. Now we cannot meet anymore. I thank them for giving me grateful love and good memories.

7 comments:

  1. My grandmother did the silkworms too. When I first see them I'm very scared. But when my grandmother took out all the silk. And the worms became a small oval shape. My grandmother fried them with salt. They are so yummy!!!. Did you eat the silkworms Mina?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes It is very tasty. I didn't know That is silkworm. In korea it make a can style. When we go to camping it was nice a relish with alcohol.I eat somtimes but I don't buy it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have to have a lot of beer before I could eat a silkworm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice memories in the farm of your famly, I remember when i was younger i wanted to have a farm and spend a lot of time there. I loved the nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I have never seen silkworm. If they are tasty, I want to try to eat. But I don't think I can touch live ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I went to primary school a man sold boiled silkworm's chrysalis after school I bought and ate them.
    It was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just know that silkworm can eat. I had silkworm myself when i was a student, i liked to watch and play with them.

    ReplyDelete